My family owns the PC version of the Sims 3 game and I must say all us kids are quite addicted to it. It’s interesting, how much the game fascinates us when the idea of the game is simply living life. The Sims grow up, go to school, have to find jobs, miss or obtain opportunities, just like real people, the only difference is they aren’t, and we as the players ultimately decide their future. We create them and guide the any way we want them to go. The Sims don’t have super powers, there is no winning or losing in the game therefore there is no competitive factor, but the game is still ever so appealing. What is the catch?
The answer seems pretty obvious. The thing we enjoy most about the game is that we are in control. We control the Sims favorites, skills, careers, house structure, romances, friendships, and the list goes on. More often than not I find that we like to create a Sims character that represents who we are. My Sims character is athletic and loves to write. In fact she is now a very good journalist, one of the best and is working on a Novel. My Sims character is a representation of who I am, but more accurately an image of who I wish I could be. It’s a weak attempt at controlling my own life in a virtual world. Ironically, while I am creating what I wish my life could be like I am wasting time I could actually be living it.
All of this made me realize that I am good at creating ideas in my head and dreaming big, but horribly bad at putting thoughts into action. I love planning out a strict workout schedule that looks great on paper, but have the toughest time getting out of bed to start it. I love picturing myself in a certain career, but I cannot force myself to work hard in school to get there. A lot of times I feel like a failure. Don’t we all feel like this at times? At some point or another, we all feel like life is passing us by; like there are too many opportunities we missed that there is no way we can every make up for them. Frustration takes over and we resort to different options, depending on the person. Some go wild and decide to not care anymore. They live for the moment, for pleasure, and for parties. Others withdraw and become depressed. Some try to find outlets for their frustrations, like trying to live their life through a computer game, or through someone else like a son or a daughter.
We cannot control what happens to us like we can control what happens to the Sims, but we do control our reactions. We control our attitude and our decisions. Our job isn’t to know what is coming, it is to accept what we cannot control and make the best of it. If we let ourselves get down over a bad situation, who are we helping? Nobody! In fact, giving up makes the situation ten times worse. Even after giving up, it is never too late to start trying again. That is a lesson I have learned: never give up. See things through to the very end, because you could never imagine the things that can happen if you persevere. Do not try to control life, but never lose control of yourself.
No comments:
Post a Comment